Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Selling Options Profit / Astroslav

Hi Coral,

I agree with you that there is a learning curve and I certainly was not a pro in those days (still am not). However, I want to point out that the so called pros were wiped out big time. If you have not read "McMillan on Options" by Lawrence McMillan, I highly recommend this book. In it he describes pros that were in love with selling way-out-of-money options collecting pennies most of the time, maybe even 99.999% of the time. Then the 1987 crash occurred wiping this happy crowd of penny-diggers

As to the 90% statistic, you are right, mostly because inexperienced options traders tend to buy far-out-of-money options because they are "cheaper." The more profitable strategy is to buy in-the-money or slightly out-of-the -money options but this approach in the eyes of "speculating masses" is more "expensive."

Messages In This Thread

Re: Selling Options Profit / Astroslav