Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Futures Options/Lee/Trades

Hi Trades,

That is the conclusion I think I am coming to.
[This started with Ronbo posts when I discovered how little sense the futures options were making to me, and basically how thinly traded they are]

I assumed if I studied them a bit I might see more clearly what is going on, but so far, no luck.

Your comment:
"impossible to find a bias unless it is really lopsided with a high open interest I think."

Was what I thought I might learn to recognize. Or at least be able to see when interest was changing in a given product which should show up in the options activity before you would see it in the daily trading volume of the underlying.

The big problem in trying to "follow" the activity is that the data is only a "snapshot" of the situation when you look.

I have been nicking at doing a "daily snap shot" of the options data, saving to a spread sheet. Will likely have to write a program to boil the data down, and possibly produce a chart of the options vs. the underlying over time.

Your comments reflect what I was coming to, can't yet readily make much sense of it.

One thing though ...
Looking at the March11 Euro Puts for example -- there is substantial open interest way down to 1.1000 and some even below that. BUT, the options currently have NO VALUE until you get down to 1.16 and need 1.23 for a put to be worth $100 at the moment.

So, sort of tells me these things were traded as part of some sort of spread trade/hedge a long time ago when Euro was down around 1.18 back in June 2010.

Anyway, for now, I put it in the "crossword puzzle" category. Some entertainment when I just feel like taking a break and looking at some programming/spreadsheet coding.

Probably should start a new thread. Got a bit off topic in the Tbond thread !!
Thanks, Lee

Messages In This Thread

Re: Futures Options/Lee/Trades