Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: The Advantages of Trend Trading/Lee

Intraday price doesn't say much if whipping through the 20ema. The close is most important. And like any close you need more than one bar to confirm but is always significant to close above or below anything that could be considered support or resistance. But I've found once price gets above the 20ema it will ride it and as long as price is riding above it all is well and price only goes higher. What I have done with a price that broke below the 20ema after riding it in an uptrend is look where the next price support is and if its close by I wont sell as long as that price support doesn't breakdown. But then I would expect price to bounce off nearby support and re-cross above the 20ema. But its nice to know regardless of all the news and crazy price action that as long as price is riding on top of the 20ema you don't have to do anything or pay much attention to anything else. If price stretches out a long ways from the 20ema it will snap back to it like a rubber band is attached to price and the 20ema. And when price drops below the 20ema for 2-3 days I tend to get out of the market and not be exposed to possible plunging prices. And once price clears the 20ema again I get back on. But like the Corn chart when the 20ema is falling and price has been below for awhile once price touches the falling 20ema price often sells off again telling you the major downtrend is for real and all you had was a dead cat bounce. That is why I said I would get out of Corn here at the 20ema and wait for a cross or failure of price again. Price needs to clear the 20ema for more than a day and stay there. It can whipsaw you now and again but that's fine as by dumping the position on a 2 day close below the 20ema you are refusing to expose your account to a possible major trend change and get killed. Small price to pay. And once above the 20ema again you ride it up again. Or in a definite downtrend you short it at the falling 20ema each time touched. Check out some commodities with this to find one that respects this 20ema trend.

Messages In This Thread

Re: The Advantages of Trend Trading/Lee