Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: So, it's Texas/ Nostalgia/Andy/All
In Response To: Re: So, it's Texas/ Nostalgia ()

Hi All,

Interesting how many memories a simple comment like this post can bring back !!!

Jill and I were sailing from Block Island to Martha's Vinyard and planned to put in at Menemsha Pond on the west end of Martha's Vinyard for the night, having no idea that the Carley Simon concert was going on.

The dock on which the concert was held was only about 1/4 way in to the pond, but was so crowded with boats we could not get through to the pond. Frustrated (still not knowing what was going on) I pulled along the marsh bank and threw the hook on the bank. We walked up toward the dock before being stopped by security personnel - that's how we learned what was going on !!! So, with all of that, and some polite words, [and in fact, apologies for our not being able to get through to the pond to anchor] We were invited to leave our boat where it was (would be OK as the tide was rising) and enjoy the concert - which we did !!! Not front row seats, but maybe 10 rows back of folks sitting in the marsh grass on the side. [I went back to the boat and snagged life jackets to sit on and made sure the hook was still firmly set.] From that point on, we thoroughly enjoyed the concert.

Sitting out in the evening with a warm summer breeze, the salt air, and then having that concert in front of you, I don't think you would have "run away" even if Carley Simon wasn't one of your "favorites" !!!

Then we come to "One Eye" Senior Golfer:

When it was over, we had to move the boat. The pond in the back was full and when the tide goes out you don't want to be where we were !! So we went back out into Vinyard sound which has a fairly rocky bottom and strong current in that area. I anchored and backed down on the hook to make sure it was set well. But when the tide turns and the boat does a 180 you can pull the hook if the current is strong enough (which it was) and it has to re-set itself, not just drag along on the rocky bottom !!

So, I did a "Senior Golfer" sleeping with "one ear open" hoping to hear the vibration of the anchor dragging before we ran aground !!!

Any way, thanks for triggering those memories. Doesn't much matter whether one likes Carley Simon's music or not, it was one "unforgettable" evening !!!!

Thanks, Lee

Messages In This Thread

Re: So, it's Texas/ Nostalgia/Andy/All