Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Benchmarking *PIC*
In Response To: Re: Benchmarking ()

" Improvements need to measured in years, not weeks or months for sure. "

It has always been a mystery to me how anyone can use an hourly chart,
with zero understanding of what has taken place over the long run.

Oh well - to each their own, I guess - more $$$ for the big boys to capture.

Many years ago Z told me to "watch the cash market for clues"

As a result of that I track all products in both spot and each car for each product..
That way I can have a one to one comparison and chart both.
I also have all products set on the NYSE trade date - example: the DX
The DX trades on the US holidays, so over time (years) that will add months to a chart,
no way to compare the DX to the E6 (euro)

I also roll ALL products on the change in OI - in the currencies that means the roll
is only a couple of days before LTD - since there is NO FND, and the contract is cash settled.

As you said, and I agree, it's all a giant PIA -- made even worse when your one person
tracking many markets. Gold futures trade 12 months, BUT - only 6 trade months -
so I'll track the trade months, and the spot - 7 items for one product -

Lots of fun, eh ... who ever said this was an easy way to make a buck -- LOL

below is my Daily Range for the FC FX - you can see the roll on Dec 15 -
I use the range [ ( daily Hi less Lo) x the contract value (125,000) = X (notational value) ] in place of volume.

Have a good one

- r