Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

trajectory calculations...

trajectory calculations? Sure, that's what it was. Show us a picture. This I don't believe until I see the picture.

The 223/5.65 is a flat shooting critter. That's part of what made me start to liking the round. We were shooting one day, testing out a rifle I had bought...knowing nothing about it. Started by shooting 100 yards at milk jugs. Using factory peep sights...whoa, that was easy and I got thirty rounds. haha we moved the jugs out to 300 yards. Pop, smack. Pop, smack. I like this, no adjustment to the sight and I got 30 rounds. This is nice.

From then on out I was a fan. We were shooting 400 yards once...still no sight adjustment...had a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to put the targets on...pow, pop, and pow some more. Went out to look at the targets...found bullets that had not penetrated the plywood...some just stuck in the wood. So we, and it could have been the el-cheapo ammo we were using, decided the effective range for the 5.65 was about 350 yards. They'll go much further of course but their effectiveness against game seemed like it might be severely diminished at longer ranges.

The solution for the AR platform...308/7.62x51...for stuff past 350 yards. The trajectory for the way I have mine set up...zero at 250 yards is +3.85 inches at 140-150 yards...zero at 250...-4.00 inches at 300 yards. That's pretty flat trajectory. That's...aim at the nose, hit the forehead at 150 yards...aim at the forehead hit the nose at 300 yards. Pretty much...hold on out to 300 yards. After that...turret adjustments necessary unless you're just trying to hit center mass of a human.

Now they're telling us he had scribbled down the trajectory numbers for a rapid fire mass shooting at 400 yards. Really? Given he was shooting down from great height the impact point will change from a level shot. Enough to worry about the trajectory while shooting at 22K people all piled up in an area that had to be at least an acre in size...hmmm, I ain't buying that. Besides, I thought he was supposed to have planned this all out. Why, just then, take into account the trajectory? The second thing, using rapid fire bump stock to fire into a bunch of peeps in a pen, you're not worried about great accuracy. You're just firing into the group. Ehhh...going to need a picture of that piece of paper.

Messages In This Thread

trajectory calculations...
Re: trajectory calculations...
Re: trajectory calculations...