Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Here's a thought amidst the shutdown...

I meant the ones that try to skate by probably feared your...do it right, mentality.

I hate paying someone to do something I know how to do. I find myself with no choice sometimes as I age. Because of the way I was raised, I CAN NOT stand around and not pitch in and help. People appreciate that whether they say it or not...so long as you don't slow them down further. I always hover over them to see how they do something or just to ask questions. Most don't mind once they can tell you've been around and know at least a little about what you're doing.

Got up one morning a few weeks back and the central heat was not working...on a Sunday! Oh chit...I don't do more than the most rudimentary HVAC...called a friend who knew a guy...call the guy...gut says I'm so far out I can't make it till Thursday maybe even Friday. Ouch! So he asked..can you take the cover off the machine...already done. Oh, OK. The more he asked...do you have such and such a tool, and I did, or do this do that and it got done quick...he proceeded to walk me through the repair...over the phone. If I had have been a person who couldn't turn a screw driver or just stood there saying...uh, what's that...he wouldn't have done that. I heaped praise and thanks on him and then gave his name to my contractor friend.

Out here, you can wire your own house but you can't sell it for two years. I guess they want to give it two years to see if it's going to burn down or not. haha
Over time I would help a few friends do that...or do a partial on a remodel or add on. As a result, I would bump into one of the county electrical inspectors. The first time I ran into him, I was building the sisters "out house". I told him straight out...you know...you have a reputation as being a pain in the ass inspector by some of the electricians out here. Yea, I know. You know I called and asked for you specifically? Oh yea, why's that. Because I want this done right and I know you'll make sure I get it done right.

That threw him for a loop. Over time we came to have a good relationship. Sometimes, I would call him out before I started a questionable procedure that I needed help with. He'd come out and walk me through what I needed to do. He'd always say, you know I have to charge you $25 every time I come out. You know I don't care...that's cheap for professional advise. Never failed an inspection. Not because I was friends with the inspector but because chit got done right.

Do it right...