Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re:CRB
In Response To: Re:CRB ()

I've recently had some amusing conversations. At the same soiree, where I learned about the Game of Thrones, much folderol surrounding the tariffs. Two people were going on and on about how the government would have to increase the subsidy to pork producers (they referred to them as "pig farmers"). I interjected myself into the conversation and told them that the U.S. federal government has NEVER given ANY subsidies to livestock producers. Of course, they had seen something on CNN and I, obviously, did not know from whence I spoke. Good thing about these new fangled "smart phones" ... I readily proved myself correct and them to be unknowledgeable boors. So, the conversation turned to that was going to make all of the pig farmers go out of business and their poor families would starve. I attempted to explain how the PRC has already had to kill off over 100 million head of hogs, due to African Swine Fever / AKA Pig Ebola. Moreover, it is conservatively estimated that before it's all said and done, over 300 million head will have to be culled and killed off ... so, they're in desperate need of pork meat. So, the next thing was ... Well, they'll buy it from some other countries ... and ..... I pointed out to them that the closest pork exporter, second to the U.S., is Germany. If Germany sold pork to China, their normal European consumers would need to find their pork elsewhere. If they turned to the fourth largest exporter of pork, Canada ... no big deal. The majority of pork produced, in Canada, is not even for domestic production .. rather, it's for U.S. export. Point of fact, may hogs cross the border to be slaughtered in the U.S., getting the USDA stamp. If Canada increased their exports to China, their exports to us would drop .. and our domestic producers would simply sell it to us.

They had a difficult time understanding. Well ... CNN says ... I laughed and said, "Orange man bad! Tariffs bad! Orange man bad". You might have guessed, by now, that I live in an area that is Democrat Party controlled.

Not the sharpest machetes in the shed.