Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: This Forum
In Response To: Re: This Forum ()

Wayne;

I grew-up in a small town in Michigan. The same town I live in now. One of my early memories was collecting metal caps off beer and soft drink bottles.
I would take a small sack of them to the local junk dealer and I get a penny or two. I now wonder if they were paying for the metal or just giving a little boy a token for being helpful in the war effort. My mother, like every household would save the grease from bacon and other meat in glass jars or tin cans. That all went to the junk dealer too.

My brother and I built a cab on our wagon out of an orange crate for the grocery store. We needed something to cover it with and found some paper board signs. The signs said " Buy War Bonds". When the guy next door saw that he put us to work. He gave us each a nickel to pull that wagon up and down the streets.

My mother wrote letters to some army men during the war. These were guys that we didn't know. I don't know where she got their names. Could be from the man that run the drug store. He was head of the draft board. Anyway, when the war was over everyone of them came to visit.

I remember the sad day at our house when my two seventeen year old future bother-in-law said goodby and boarded the train to go to the army.

I don't know if it was because of the war or if it was just the way it was but everyone looked out for everyone. If you needed help someone was there. Nobody went without.

I don't remember when the rules became a bother. I guess in the late '50s and early "60s but that may be when they applied to the things I was doing.