Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

to zero and beyond... *PIC*

Used to...you could know that price was bound by zero to the downside. That allowed for a certain amount of confidence in being able to control risk, which, in turn, allowed for an investment strategy in commodities. You know, you could buy low and hold knowing your absolute risk was bound by zero. The risk on a contract of grains at 5 dollars a bushel was 25K. If you wanted to you could back one grain contract selling for 5 dollars with 25K and let it ride...appropriate roll not included.

Since the foray into the depths below zero...the security of zero is gone. Nobody not intending to take delivery should have been holding the contract month in crude that went subzero...I don't guess. What it meant to them I do not know. Perhaps someone with that knowledge would explain.

But to the small investor...who wants to wake up to Minus Nine Buck Beans one day? Maybe that doesn't even apply to anything else as a farmer would just let crops rot or leave animals in the field or slaughter them so they don't have to feed them???

So, anybody want to buy crude for the long pull at these prices...before subzero, the answer to that question would have been...that's worth a hard look. Stock up on 6 dollar a bbl crude...yea...and let it ride. Not now...might wake up with price at -40 bucks again. Whatever the hell that means. i guess you'd have to pay somebody the equivalent to whatever -40 bucks per bbl is to take it off your hands???