Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: It costs 50% more to make a dollar/l.i.a.b..

Most Canadians didn't want to change to metric either but that was the agreement apparently. Canada at the time sold over 80% of its exports to the U.S. and it was understood and apparently agreed upon that the U.S. would also switch. I don't know if all the various levels of gov in the U.S. agreed or not. But the belief was North America had agreed to and would change to metric and at great cost of the change. Each country agreed to change at their own pace to reduce costs and confusion but would switch. So now Canada has switched but the U.S. hasn't. Supplying both measurements is costly in exports to the U.S. but now Canada exports more like 70% of its manufactured goods to the U.S. and is signing various trade agreements all over the world now to expand its base so is less dependent on exports to the U.S. And much of the world does business in metric which helps exporter. So Canada has both systems now to some degree because of this but the official measurement is metric. No one likes change typically but when decisions are made they do need to be followed through on. For someone like myself that was raised with the other system of feet and inches and Fahrenheit temps it is a pain in the ass as I just don't think in metric but that was the decision made for better or worse and I and others like myself must deal with it.

Messages In This Thread

Re: It costs 50% more to make a dollar/l.i.a.b..