Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: few questions about commodities/ Wayne/rabbit

Yes you can short ETFs just like shorting a stock. You'd have to check with a broker for availability with them like anything else I guess. I don't think you can short or buy put options within a self directed tax exempt retirement account. Can't in Canada in any case. BUTTTTTTTTT there are plenty of inverse ETFs that you can BUY so all is well there. But I don't think there are a lot of commodity bear ETFS. There is the double bear Gold ETF:DZZ and double bear Silver ETF:ZSL and double Crude bear ETF:DUG and and bull DIG, etc along with Nat Gas ETFs etc. And a few others too but not a lot of them I don't think. I'm not aware of a bear Grains ETF but there will be if there is a demand for them. New ones are coming out all the time to cover this field. Some of the double ETFs were designed for short term trading and not to hold long term as they errode with the way they calculate the double effect daily. Much like holding a futures contract and watching the premium fall as it becomes the front month.