Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Dan's dilemma / taking losses/Gian

Hi Gian,
I would like to pursue this further. Will have to gather my thoughts and write some things out.
I think we approach trading quite similarly.

I only trade a few markets and off the intraday 1 min chart for executing trades.
I use the other time frames to get to the point where I want to follow the market and look for trade opportunities. Will have to write some things out.

Not nitpicking numbers here. My RT commission is only about $10 but if I pay attention I can have nice runs of 6 to 10 small gains of say 50 to 200 and a loser of a couple of ticks plus comm.

Where I lose out the most is trying to set a stop wide enough to stay in the trade and get some sleep etc. I eventually get stopped out and give too much back. I think I would be better off just closing out and starting over later.

I was not paying attention today....
Some quick examples might be: [all intraday, 2day, 1 min] Today
Gold from 1767 I likely would have stayed with it if were paying attention
Ec, Dx have been too erratic/volitle of late
Ng - ?? maybe on that run up/dn had I gotten in early and established an near break even exit - I may have followed it up moving my stop/limit but I doubt I would have traded it down as I likely will not short Ng at this time/conditions.

Enough here ....will continue later ....
Trades and Duck had an interesting exchange a couple of days ago that I want to go back to, maybe you followed it.

Lee