Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Fed's Pianalto: Economy showing cyclical weakness

Fed's Pianalto: Economy showing cyclical weakness (by Greg Robb)

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The U.S. economy is being held down by lack of demand and not structural factors, said Sandra Pianalto, the president of the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank, on Thursday. "My current assessment is that the real economy continues to show considerable cyclical weakness. This assessment, along with my outlook for moderate growth and subdued inflation, calls for today's highly accommodative monetary policy," Pianalto said in a speech at a conference sponsored by the National Association of Business Economics in Cleveland. Pianalto forecast growth slightly above a 2.5% rate this year and around 3.0% in 2013 and 2014. "At this pace of growth, I expect that it could take as long as four to five years for the unemployment rate to fall to the 6% rate," Pianalto said. Inflation should run very close to the Fed's target of 2% through 2014, she added.