Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Cattle

Hello:

I would only disagree that you should pay attention to fundamentals even though you are a technical trader. Just don't get your fundamentals from the media newswires. I think what happens there is that when something pops or drops, they open a drawer and pull out a note that gives "today's " reason why it happened. If you have a broker, you could certainly call to see what the real scuddlebut is. Thats at least better than the newswires in most instances.

I have had all kinds of discussions of technicals vs fundamentals. My way is I use technicals as a way to see what the "perceived" fundamentals are. And its the perception of fundamentals and not the fundamentals themselves in most cases. The charts show you where the money is going.

The perfect example a few moons ago when Silver was about 4.50. There was a glut of silver and not a big market for it. The economy didnt support a rise. However, it was heard that Warren Buffet was buying Silver calls. In one month, Silver hit 7.80. And there was "no fundamental reason for silver to be $5.00, let alone 7.80.

The perception though was that we better buy now. They charts momentum tools and moving averages said to buy even though the fundamentals said there was no reason to buy.

Thats why I trade the charts and watch the momentum indicators and keep an eye on what teh ewave looks to be like. I keep my ears open on the fundamentals. But I trade the technicals.

Happy trading!

Messages In This Thread

Re: Cattle