Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: BTW ... What is everyone fav-o-rite ammo goin *PIC*

Hey Spike...don't know what you know about MOA vs MilRad.

The reason I started liking the milrad is, as I said, it's easier, IMHO, to measure distance. The only reason for that is because of the way the milliradian scope is set up. One milliradian at 1000 yards is 36 inches. At 500 one millradian is half that or 18 inches. At 100 yards it's 3.6 inches. Most milrad scopes are 1/10 milrad at 100 yards...that's why each click of the adjusting screw or turret is .36 of an inch instead of the MOA 1/4 of a MOA at 100 yards which is .25 of an inch. One MOA at 100 yards is 1 inch. At 1000 yards it's 10 inches. Technically...it's 10.54 inches at 1000 yards and 1.054 inches at 100 yards. The difference, .054, not being worth worrying about.

Here's why I like the mill rad. My scope has hash marks along elevation and windage of 2.5 mils. 2.5 mils times 3.6 mils equals 9 inches at 100 yards. At two hundred yards each hash becomes a value of 18 inches. 27" @ 300. 36 @ 400 and on out.

Several things of note have measurements based on 9 inches. The average man is close to 72 inches tall. If you look through the scope and the man takes up 4 hash marks from foot to head and you know he's basically 72 inches tall...he is 72 divided by 4 = 18 inches per hash. If each hash equals 18 inches you know he's 200 yards away. If he only takes up one hash mark...making the has 72 inches you know he's 72 divided by 9 = 8...800 yards away.

A deer is basically 36 inches from hoof to back. If a deer takes up 4 hash marks you he is 36 divided by 4 = 9. When each hash measure nine inches you know the target is 100 yards away.

It's that relation to the hash being nine inches and some common target heights being a factor of nine.

Easy peasy to measure distance...if you know the measure of what you're shooting at.