Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: weather July 4th-11th/CeeJay

We're working with a proxy for consumption: net injection. Net injection is affected by weather. Good forecasts make for good guesses of net injection in a relative sense...if any week is forecast to be cooler than average in the summer, and the forecast is correct, one can successfully predict that, in general, net injections should fall below the long term average for that week, and visa-versa. And as you have said, anyone can make those calculation given the injection data available plus weather observations and weather forecasts.

I don't know what happens on the production side, but to suggest that producers somehow collectively decide to throttle up or back production based on weather is probably taking the argument a bit far. Its more likely that they alter production based on price and I would bet that, in any given short period, production is not in fact terribly affected by price unless price declines for a long period below the marginal cost of production. If price rises above the marginal cost of production then you get exploration and well development, and new production comes on stream. The amount of new production then depends on the projected internal rate of return which varies from project to project and locale to locale. Complicated stuff! So, not being an NG economist, I stick with what I know and focus on the consumption side to make my investment decisions. Cheers, CJ

Messages In This Thread

Re: weather July 4th-11th/CeeJay