Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Stock Market - Update/Insider

Hi Insider,
Thank you !!!

I have read and hope I understand every word !!

What really threw me was:
"It is good see the end of this down trend. "

After the posts of last(prior) week and maybe a bit earlier, suggesting pretty much "just what happened" !!!!

I have no interest in stocks (save maybe one AAPL Apple Computer) will explain below, but likely would not buy it !!

Any way, your thoughts on the market seem to have been "right on" and as you say, the "talking heads" will have a reason for everything (I think Trades likes the comment "they go to the file cabinet" and pull out the "reason" for whatever happens) !!!

I think today's "reason" was "mildly up beat" employment numbers and Cisco turning in "good numbers" !!

As mentioned earlier, the futures are still down, so we'll see what tomorrow brings !!!

And yes, my goal is to "make some money" but have as much fun as possible while doing it !!!

One main reason I like Futures so much, it is "me against the market". If I can't learn to deal with that, shame on me !! But there is no cast of accountants in there fiddling with the numbers !! Yes, the "big money/deep pockets" can push things around a bit, but if you can't see that happening, you are "playing in the wrong sandbox" to start with !!!

Now, for the Apple story, that I think you might enjoy .....

Back in the mid '80's after the breakup of ATT I was teaching Data Communications, Network Design and some Computer seminars to the Banks and Brokerage houses as they had the dual task of adapting/re-structuring their communications networks to the new environment AND addressing the "evolving PC hardware" that was now in "full swing".

IBM "dog and pony shows" really tried to throw a scare into those companies, with the huge "Mainframe driven networks" and thousands of $7000 (dumb) 3270 terminals tied to the network (plus all of the intervening hardware) .... That one day all of those "cheap PC's with cheap add in boards, to emulate that $7000 terminal might cease to function on the IBM SNA Network at some point.

Well, the Banks and Brokerage houses just "forged ahead" and told IBM, well if that happens we will just replace all of your Mainframes with competing Japanese mainframe. Well that ended that, and the PC's flourished in the business community, for that and many other reasons.

BUT POOR OLD APPLE shunned the business environment and stuck with the "home user" and the "arts/graphics" early on.

I remember that the [sheer mention of Apple at a place like Solomon Bros. Chase, DBL, Equitable etc.] may well result in your not being "invited back". That is how "low" Apple was viewed by the business community as a viable computer !!!

BUTTTTT, THE WORLD SURE HAS TURNED !!!!

Apple computer has just surpassed Exon in total value !!! I guess the "wealthiest" company in the US and maybe the world.

Steve Jobs has done a fantastic job with that company, and I can't say that their computer line has made any "inroads" in the corporate network area, but all of the other areas, laptops/portables, presentations, graphics and all of the I+++ devices sure have put that company at the "top of the heap" !!!!!

Now, that is a Stock that I wish I had bought even 4 or 5 years ago !!!!

Any way, still having FUN, and would like to keep it that way !!!!

Thanks, Lee

Messages In This Thread