Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Biltong...
In Response To: Re: Biltong... ()

"That article recommends to, after completion, store in refrigerator or freezer. I don't know how that would save freezer space or give protection from a power outage."

That was my wondering as well. What's the point if you can't at least put it in a cool closet in the house and it lasts for a long time, like jerky. I've eaten some old jerky from the store shelves before. Which is understandable, I guess, given how much dryer jerky is than this. There are other vids that mention that drying determines the length of time it keeps...dry it very dry and it keeps longer because the water content in meat is where the problems start.

Yea, I wasn't able to catch any mice to season mine with. 😁

I was originally going to build a small smoke house out of the cedar I was given but I never got a real good handle on the difference between curing and cold smoking vs hot smoking, which I am assuming is what I used to do to briskets and shoulders when I would smoke and cook them for 16 hours.

Your explanation clears up a lot though with having to cure the meat before smoking at the low temps you used.

I have to admit I was going for the easier sounding process with the biltong being as it can be but doesn't have to be smoked. Maybe jerky doesn't either???

Not that I have anything against smoking stuff but regulating the temp in a home made smoker might get a little complicated.

I'm still in learning mode.