Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Biltong...report...
In Response To: Re: Biltong... ()

OK...I did two batches...first batch I let it soak in the cure in the fridge for 4 hours, the second batch for 36 hours.

The first batch dried for a few days before my fan got here to pull air through my makeshift biltong box. It took a week and a half to dry. Some of the smaller pieces of second batch dried in three to four days...some of the thicker stuff is still drying with a few days left at their current weight loss rate, it seems.

First batch was ho hum. Not much flavor at all. It had an interesting texture...dried meat ring on the outside softer pinkish meat in the middle...I know, I know...but I'm not describing that! Get your minds out of the gutter.

Second batch, same look. Taste must be what everybody who does this is talking about. It's pretty stinkin good stuff. Different than jerky...better than jerky. To me, jerky's flavor comes from whatever you put on the outside. The biltong tastes like meat with some of the taste of what you put on the outside. Except I did get little heavy with the pepper on a few pieces so there's a slightly stronger pepper taste on those pieces. Still good, though.

If I had reported in on the taste of the first batch I would have declared doing this not worth the trouble and it's not a lot of trouble. Based on the taste of the second batch...yea...I'll keep going with it and testing different ingredients and ratio's of ingredients. Some people add honey or sugar to the liquid soak.

Messages In This Thread

Biltong... *LINK*
Re: Biltong...
Re: Biltong...report...