Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: Crude - Metals - USD$/Tim
In Response To: (Message Deleted by Poster) ()

I haven't been trading for the last few years. I still raise cattle and I run a business in town. My kids got old enough to go to college and I worked them hard enough while I had them to make them eager to leave and not too quick to return. That was part of my plan but I am afraid that I made them a little too independent. A lot of my trading was actually hedging my cattle. In 2005 and 2006 I was buying Sept feeders when I was buying physical cattle in Feb. I would buy puts under my positions just like I would the calves I was buying. That worked so well that I got spooked and quit doing it. I hate to admit I have missed the last several years because I had never done business in a demand driven market. I just didn't get adjusted. I almost feel like I am waiting for a major correction so I can work with supplies driven markets again. I'm not too proud of that, but you asked. I didn't see much reason to be hedging my cattle as long as the fed was pumping billions into the economy. I vowed to quit hedging or speculating until Chicago outlawed pockets on shirts on the floor. They are still pumping money and still using their pockets. I will be back sometime. In the meantime I just keep watching my hair get whiter in hopes that when things change I will be respected as one of the last guys to have hedged grain and cattle before the good years.
Things have been good. I hope everything is well with you.

Messages In This Thread

(Message Deleted by Poster)
Re: Crude - Metals - USD$