Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: on Dogs, Dog bones, and Helliary

Nope, never had me any road kill. Someone told me that there are entire books written on that subject.

Have you experienced any problems with squirrels and your garden? My wife is an avid gardener ... on one of our properties that has a goodly amount of full sun, she runs it like a freaking farm (guess who rototills it), on that plot ... this year she harvested over (no typo) three thousand garlic bulbs ... big bulbs with the biggest and fattest cloves that I have seen, outside of elephant garlic which has not taste.

Around our house ... that's where the tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach et al, and fruit trees are "kept". I'm not much of a tomato fan, other than Bacon and tomato sandwiches, but she grows a lot.

Tree rats go after the tomatoes and peaches. I found a method that really keeps the tree rats at bay. The ol' boy that told me about 'em called 'em "squirrel poles". Each pole consists of a six foot long 2x4, with four or five 110 Conibear traps set on with screws. You set the pole at an approximate 45 degree angle and walk away. One day, I came back after about two hours and one of the poles had four squirrels hanging from it. They set the trap, fall to the side, and the chain on the conibear, being screwed into the wood, as the squirrels just hanging there.

In some areas, mine included, they are illegal. Two of my best peach trees are in the front yard and visible to passing vehicles. Some tree hugger saw my "cruelty" and called the DNR. Some big assed black Yukon pulled into my driveway ... out popped some female wearin' her khakis ... She couldn't site the specific code but told me that she had the power to actually arrest me for such a terrible violation. Rather than call her bluff ... those peach trees are back to being subject to squirrel rat attacks. Hell, the damned raccoons would get them anyway .. so why argue.

However, areas not visible to passing vehicles (tomatoes .. which squirrels LOVE to decimate) and other fruit trees ... there are still some of these present. I highly recommend them.

Messages In This Thread

on Dogs, Dog bones, and Helliary *LINK*