Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Re: The deciding issue for the 2018 elections is:

I thought your point was the recent tax legislation.

Adjusting Social Security payments has no place in a tax bill. I'm ALL for the amount of payments being raised .... More is better.

This is what drives me beyond insanity (kindly notice the "beyond" as I've been insane for decades) ..... Boomers take all of the heat.

Self employment tax was 2%, in 1965. When they finally tossed on a Medicare (Title Act 19) kicker, it increased to 2.5%, in 1966. Over the course of years, it had slowly climbed (almost 5% under President Nixon) to over 7% under Jimmy "The Worthless One" Carter ... to 15.3% under Ronnie "The Commie Reagan". So, for the vast majority of the Boomers working lives, they've paid in 15.3% ... and that's from DOLLAR ONE ... no deductions, no anything other than pay and pay and pay.

"The Greatest Generation", when tallied to the normal working life (WWII to the eighties) paid an average of less than five percent. If the Boomers only had that money, returned to them, and calculated over the prevailing interest rates of the times (Remember Ready Assets at 21%?), the average boomer would have received a lump sum check, into the millions .....

So, what is to be done now? If increasing SS payments is a necessity, that is totally different legislation than anything that can be accomplished in a "tax plan". Raising and lowering contributions (the amount stolen from workers and their employers) could be addressed, to a very fractional degree, but the outright payments; that requires totally different legislation

Lobby for it. Work on it. I'm in on this one with you.