Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

U.S. Government Looking for 'possible' Americans

Went to my accountant to pick up my tax stuff again recently and had to sign a document this time asking if I or my parents were born in the U.S. First time that has ever happened. When I checked off the YES box as my mother and her side of the family was born in the U.S. everything stopped and I was told to see an accountant in the office. Apparently the U.S. Government is hunting for 'possible' Americans everywhere including in Canada. If you were born in the U.S. OR had U.S. parents OR had parents that worked there for a long time they are often labeling you an American and therefore want all the income data from you and yours to see if you owe the U.S. government back taxes.(plus interest and possible charges as well) Luckily I slipped through the cracks in the broad definition so was not affected. There are a lot of people that are going to be dealing with U.S. income tax laws going back decades from what I understand. I was told by the accountant that if you fit 'their definition' you will be asked to go across the U.S. border to the nearest office to receive their Social Security Number and report income yearly etc. Jeez, makes you wonder what's next.........................