Welcome to the TFC Commodity Trading Forum.
Please feel welcome to join in on these informative ongoing discussions about trading futures and commodities.

The Trading Forum is intended for the open discussion of commodities trading. The management of this Forum does not agree or disagree with the ideas exchanged, and does not exert editorial control over the message posted herein. Read and post at your own risk. The risk of loss in trading or commodities can be substantial. We discourage the use of this Forum to promote trading that is acknowledged to be risky. Please note: many links from the Forum lead to pages on other web sites. We cannot take responsibility for nor endorse the information presented on those sites.

TFC Commodity Trading Forum

Corn prices higher

It is driving me bananas that the corn prices are as high as they are. A large part of what we are having to deal with is the ethanol thing (subsidized vodka in your gas tank). We grew an enormous crop last year, and with the early planting this year, we will likely grw an even bigger one this year. Just visiting upper Illinois and lower Wisconsin in the last few weeks, I saw great looking corn, even in soil I considered extremely marginal.

However. The grass is very brown.

Short term stuff. We in the Midwest are in desperate need of about five days of heavy rain, and it's not in the forecast. The corn is wilting. A good dousing would solve the problem, but the market has the reflexes of a gnat.It has been very nice and hot here, but the corn needs water. Unless there actually is a drought, then there is no problem and I think high prices should be shorted (minus any crude oil perturbations), but the way the market thinks, a little bit of long corn is the way to go, at least 'til the weekend. It looks like we will be going back up to $6.60. Keep an eye on Tom Skilling's weather reports as to whether you should hold a weekend position.

Matthew Shelley
Commodity Broker

Disclaimer: Trading in futures and options is very high risk investing. You can lose more money than you invest. Only risk funds should be invested.